The Glamorous Gourmet About Events Recipes Wine Reviews Contact

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Summer Cookie Cook-Off: Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate-Covered Raisins vs. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chipperoos

Looking for a fun, culinary activity for the kids this Summer? Why not spend an afternoon baking up some delicious cookies from "Savor the Moment?" I guarantee the Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate-Covered Raisins (pg. 257) and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chipperoos (also, pg. 257) will NOT disappoint!

On a recent Saturday, I decided to make these two recipes and assign some friends the task of determining which cookie recipe reigned supreme. Would it be the Oatmeal Cookies, a delicious combination of brown sugar, old-fashioned oats and chocolate covered raisins? Or, the Chipperoos, a blend of semisweet chocolate, peanut butter, white chocolate and toffee chips? After making the cookies, and doing a little taste testing of my own, I knew it would be close! I packaged them up and gave them out to some friends, explaining I would need their verdict in the next day or so. They very eagerly obliged and within two days I had my answer. I was right in thinking it would be close - in fact by one vote, the winner was......
the Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate-Covered Raisins!

My taste testers admitted choosing their favorite was difficult - they were also quick to volunteer for any subsequent assignments! I have included the recipe for the Oatmeal Cookies below and hope you enjoy them. One thing is for sure, pair either cookie recipe with a nice, tall glass of cold milk and you are all set for Summer!

XO,




Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate-Covered Raisins (pg. 257)
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) margarine, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups oats (quick or old-fashioned)
1 cup chocolate-covered raisins

Cream the margarine, brown sugar and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add the flour and baking soda and mix well. Stir in the oats and raisins. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 9 minutes for a chewy texture or 10 to 11 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool on the cookie sheets for 1 minute. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container. Makes four dozen.

8 comments:

  1. Adding chocolate covered raisins was certainly the surprise element in this very appetizing treat.

    I took a quick look around your posts and decided that I may just stick around and get to know your talents a little more:)
    Hopefully we'll learn somrthing from each other along the way ;o)

    BTW...your visit was very pleasant and I too will be keeping up to speed with your culinary journal.

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. So yummy. Your friends are lucky to have you baking for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would go with the Chiperoos! But those oatmeal cookies sound very tasty too.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a super idea to entertain kids, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, a cook off is a great idea, Stephanie! Not just for the little kids either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie
    I think I would have to taste 5 or 6 of each to make a qualified decision! I feel like Brett Favre making a decision!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this phrase: "assign some friends the task of determining which cookie recipe reigned supreme".

    You make it sound like a job! I WANT THAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really is a fun summer idea. How great to add chocolate covered raisins to an oatmeal cookie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails